ProgrammesModule: Digital Business
Course Title: Digital Business
Course Code: UU-COM-3010-ZM
Programme: Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance - ZM
Students will study a variety of business models in the national and global context connecting individuals, businesses, governments and other organizations. They will be exposed to the concept of strategy at the
corporate level, the business unit level and the operational level as well as the concept of value creation.
Students will study the management of information systems services from the point of view of the CIO and to examine alternative strategies and tactics available to management to achieve their goals.
Students will study the e-business strategy framework with concentration on the impact of the Internet on the macro-environment, the industry structure and the firm boundaries, the markets for e-business and the strategy options for value creation in market spaces.
Students will gain insight into how IS enables core and supportive business processes as well as those that interface with suppliers and customers and how they represents a key source of competitive advantage for firms.
Students will get an understanding of existing and emerging information technologies, the functions of IS and their impact on the organizational operations.
Students will use the steps of the e-business strategy formulation roadmap, link the individual steps of the roadmap to the different parts of the e-business strategy formulation, and understand the main business issuesinvolved in each stage of the roadmap.
Students will apply the above concepts in the design and implementation of an e-business initiative. A content management system will be used for this purpose.
After completion of the course students are expected to be able to:
1. Be able to design and manage enterprise architecture through business and marketplace models for electronic communications and trading, including revenue models and transaction models available through online services
2. Outline the hardware and software technologies used to build an e- business infrastructure within an organisation and with its partner including security issues.
3. Understand the concept of e-strategy at the corporate level, the business unit level and the operational level as well as the concept of value creation.
4. Follow an appropriate strategy process model for e-business and be able to develop an e-business strategy framework with concentration on the impact of the Internet on the macro-environment, th industry structure and the firm boundaries, the markets for e- business and the strategy options for value creation in marke spaces and for improving organizational processes with informatio technology solutions
5. Identify the main elements of supply chain management and their
relationship to the value chain and value networks.
6. Identify various procurement methods, their benefits and risks and assess different options for integration of organizations’ information systems with e-procurementsuppliers.
7. Identify the characteristics of the new media marketing communications and understand the relation between e-business and e-marketing and how to outline e-marketing plan.
Prerequisites: UU-Bsc-IND100-ZM, UU-FNT-103-ZM
Prerequisites Categories: Semester 1, Semester 2, Semester 3, Semester 4, Semester 5, Semester 6, Semester 7
Typical Module duration: 4.0