ProgrammesModule: Introduction to Linguistics I
Course Title: Introduction to Linguistics I
Course Code: UU-LIN-1121-ZM
Programme: Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Literature - ZM
Background and Rationale
This foundation course in linguistics aims to provide students with a general overview of what language is all about and introduce them to main issues that concern linguistsand language teachers.
The aim of this module is to Introduce students to the founding principles of linguistics as a science, encourage reflection on language issues in general and enable students to use linguistics as a reflective tool for their language studies.
After completion of the course students are expected to be able to:
• identify and explain fundamental terms and concepts in linguistics
• show evidence of understanding the nature of language,
• identify and explain language phenomena that concern linguists and languageteachers,
• analyse data in morphology, syntax and phonetics provided in a form of shortexercises,
• demonstrate a basic awareness of the diverse scope of linguistics.
Prerequisites: UU-Bsc-IND100-ZM, UU-FNT-103-ZM
Prerequisites Categories: -
Typical Module duration: 4.0 Week(s)