ProgrammesModule: Composition for English
Course Title: Composition for English
Course Code: UU-ENG-1001-ZM
Programme: Bachelor of Business Administration - ZM
Objectives of the Course:
• To teach students how to produce academic papers (research papers & theses);
• To develop the style and vocabulary characteristic of academic writing;
• To develop academic reading and writing skills that allow students to use material more effectively in their own academic papers; At the end of the semester, students are expected to be close to functioning at C1 (Proficient User) level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
1. Scan long and complex texts, summarize information and reconstruct arguments in a coherent presentation;
2. Produce organized and coherent essays with clear paragraphs and use of methods for introducing and concluding an essay;
3. Write well-supported essays using different patterns of development (illustration, cause and effect, process analysis, persuasion) taking into consideration purpose and audience.
4. Write proposals, critical analyses, summaries and literature reviews;
5. Demonstrate techniques to avoid plagiarism (paraphrasing, summarizing and quoting) and produce research papers with correct parenthetical and bibliographical citations using specific documentation styles such as MLA, APA, Harvard etc.);
6. Write accurately with a wide vocabulary and few errors in spelling or punctuation.
Prerequisites: UU-Bsc-IND100-ZM, UU-FNT-103-ZM
Prerequisites Categories: -
Typical Module duration: 4.0 Week(s)