ProgrammesModule: Intercultural Communication
Course Title: Intercultural Communication
Course Code: UU-HRM-2046-ZM
Programme: Bachelor in Hospitality Management - ZM
Objectives of the Course:
• Develop academic method: thinking, research, referencing and integrative skills with initiative and originality.
• Introduce students to the complexity of intercultural communication into Hospitality and Tourism Industry
• know the main characteristics of each country business etiquette
• Help students develop a curiosity and love for the field
• Aid students to understand the concepts of diversity in the industry
• Develop in students:
• Intercultural communication skills
• Abilities to interpret and adjust in any working environment
1. Identify intercultural communication as a distinguishable pattern of communication for the purposes of effective cross-cultural interaction.
2. Evaluate the impact of the complexity of culture and personal perception on communication.
3. Participate in critical self-analysis to diminish the influence of ethnocentrism as it produces negative thoughts and actions towards members of a different culture(s).
4. Recognize the societal impact of prejudice and stereotyping.
5. Demonstrate a healthy perspective of their culture and its positive contribution to the cross-cultural communication setting.
6. Distinguish diverse message systems and how they impact communication such as verbal and nonverbal symbol systems.
7. Operate effectively within the global workforce.
8. Identify potential problems inherent to intercultural communication and employ effective conflict resolution practices.
9. Analyze the relevance for adopting culture-general as well as culture-specific methodologies of cross-cultural communication.
Prerequisites: UU-Bsc-IND100-ZM, UU-FNT-103-ZM
Prerequisites Categories: Semester 1, Semester 2, Semester 3, Semester 4, Semester 5
Typical Module duration: 4.0 Week(s)