Teaching English as a Second LanguageModule Details
Course Title: Teaching English as a Second Language
Course Code: UU-TEA-3610-ZM
Background and Rationale
The module serves as an introduction to Teaching English as a Second Language and covers the areas of language awareness, methodology and lesson planning. It will introduce you to key issues, concepts and methods in teaching English as a second language.
After completion of the course students are expected to be able to:
• Explain reasons for successful language learning
• Identify main theories and trends in TESOL
• Identify approaches used in language teaching
• Evaluate activities for teaching language skills
• Design materials for teaching specific items or areas of language
• Demonstrate knowledge of different classroom management skills
• Plan and micro-teach a TESOL lesson providing a rationale for the principles on which lesson is based.
Prerequisites Categories: Semester 1, Semester 2, Semester 3, Semester 4, Semester 5
Typical Module duration: 4.0 Week(s)