Academic WritingModule Details
Course Title: Academic Writing
Course Code: UU-ENG-1110-ZM
Background and Rationale:
This module engages undergraduate research students in approaches to academic writing in the Humanities. It includes critical structural analysis of existing texts, interpretative writing, descriptive writing in the context of texts, music, visuals, film
etc. Mirroring a peer review system, it takes into consideration audience, argument and voice in academic writing and examines the role and function of academic writing conventions.
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
1. Write research texts clearly and authoritatively with a strong awareness of scholarly conventions
2. Revise and copy edit a document using publishing conventions
3. Understand the role of audience, argument and voice in writing and apply this to their own academic writing
4. Critically evaluate academic writing
5. Master an appropriate language to effectively discuss an artefact or phenomena under study.
6. Draw on a range of techniques to write interpretative texts
Prerequisites Categories: -
Typical Module duration: 4.0 Week(s)