Introduction to Food ScienceModule Details
Course Title: Introduction to Food Science
Course Code: UU-HOM-1010-ZM
Programme: Bachelor in Hospitality Management
The main objectives of the course are to:
Determine the principles of food production, food storage, food preparation and food use.
Explain the principles behind meal planning, the role of the nutritional value of foods and how this affects food service operations.
Identify sanitation and safety principles as well as discuss relevant hygiene issues (HACCP).
Discuss the associations between food and technology and their importance.
Discuss matters surrounding dietary recommendations and how these relate to menu planning and food service operations.
Recognize different types of foods (food commodities), their functions and different uses.
After completion of the course students should be able to:
1. State the basic principles of food science and how this relates to the hospitality industry.
2. Identify the essentials of food hygiene and comprehend the principles of proper food storage and preservation to avoid any form of food contamination.
3. Comprehend the basics of food production and gain a broad understanding of food commodities used in quantity food production.
4. Develop new menus using all the food ingredients discussed.
5. Explain the new concept of Gastronomy and its relationship to tourism.
6. Recognize HACCP rules and regulations and implement all these in the Hotel Industry.
Prerequisites Categories: Semester 1, Semester 2, Semester 3
Typical Module duration: 4.0 Week(s)